I can't afford dr's visits but my sprained ankle hasn't healed in 3 months (there is no fracture) what can I do? I'm worried about long term problems.

Dr. Albert D'Angelantonio
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

In brief: Unfortunately

You must keep it and immobilized until you can be seen by a physician.
Testing is definitely in order and i know it's expensive however that is the only way that any diagnosis and treatment can be made. Use it as little as possible as you may have cartilage damage already which can further damage the normal cartilage remaining in your joint. Rest , crotches and nonweightbearing will be in order until you can be seen.

In brief: Unfortunately

Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: Have it re-evaluated

Swelling may last a long time following a foot or ankle injury.
An x-ray can show if there is an underlying fracture. The x-rays may be falsely negative initially in cases of small stress fractures. You may have a soft tissue injury if it is just a sprain and may have damaged the muscle, tendon, or ligaments in the area. Have it evaluated by a professional and get the appropriate treatment.

In brief: Have it re-evaluated

Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry

In brief: Go to a clinic

Where you may be charged based on a sliding scale.

In brief: Go to a clinic

Dr. Ryan Pflugner
There are a few good websites that you can search online. Try inputing "sprained ankle exercises". Many times it is the lack of rehab that ankles will continue to hurt. If you are diligent and the ankle continues to hurt you may have a cartilage injury that needs to be addressed
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine