Test for or infection with human immunodeficiency virus hiv?

Dr. Kathleen Mullane

In brief: HIV testing

There are several HIV tests.
We usually check what is called an elisa blood/oral test. It's very sensitive & specific but misses early, early infection (<15-20 days). In us we confirm a + elisa w/a test called a western blot (looks for HIV specific proteins). Other countries just use elisa x2. For acute HIV infection we measure viral RNA in blood. Can be falsely + so needs expert evaluation.

In brief: HIV testing

There are several HIV tests.
Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice

In brief: HIV infection

I am unsure what you are really asking so if i missed it please rephrase the question.
There are two ways to test for HIV infection. One, the most common test, looks for antibodies produced by the infected human's immune system. Antibodies can take up to six months to be detectable after an infection...So a long time to wait to get an accurate answer. Then there is the viral dna or RNA test.

In brief: HIV infection