I get heart palps once in a while. It feels like butterflies and I feeel scared. I've had ekgs and they say my heart is normal. What should I do?

Dr. Martin Bress

In brief: See your doctor.

At your age you are unlikely to have a serious heart problem. A 24 hour holter monitor may help identify any abnormal heart beats.
If the symptoms are very infrequent an event monitor may be able to clarify the issue. If symptoms are present when the monitor reveals normal rhythm, anxiety may be the cause. Are you using drugs? Do you drink excessive caffeinated drinks? A doctor's visit will help.

In brief: See your doctor.

Dr. Martin Bress
Dr. Martin Bress
Decresing your caffeine intake may help. You may wish to get of caffeine entirely for a couple of weeks to see the full effect.
Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
General Practice

In brief: Holter monitor

Consult your cardiologist or primary care doctor but a holter monitor will give information the doctor that an ekg can't.

In brief: Holter monitor

Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
2 comments
Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
my pleasure
Dr. Mark Milunski
In cases where the arrhythmia doesn't occur on a daily basis, 30 day ambulatory event monitoring may be more helpful than a 24 hour monitor. There was a small study reported a number of years ago in the Annals of Internal Medicine that showed that 30 day monitoring was in general more diagnostic and more cost effective that 24 hour monitoring. unfortunately, I don't have the specific reference.
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology