Is it bad to not take the prenatal vitamins during pregnancy?

Dr. Timothy Ashley
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics

In brief: Better to take

Pnvs have benefits to both baby and mother- for moms, ensuring that depletion of iron, calcium and other nutrients is prevented is key.
For babies, having folic acid, also calcium/ iron, and other essential nutrients fosters optimum growth and can help to prevent some birth defects. If moms don't take pnvs, they are missing out on these benefits.

In brief: Better to take

Dr. Timothy Ashley
Dr. Timothy Ashley
Dr. JUDY WASHINGTON

In brief: Vitamins help

Prenatal vitamins provide beneficial nutrients.
Especially if you have a poor diet. The only time I have patients not take them is if they have vomiting. If patients can not tolerate a pill we use a liquid or chewable vitamin. The most important nutrient is Folic Acid which prevents defects of the spine.

In brief: Vitamins help

Dr. JUDY WASHINGTON
Dr. JUDY WASHINGTON
Dr. Adam Levy