While pregnant with my first child, I had severe vomiting. How can I avoid starvation and electrolyte disturbances during my second pregnancy?

Dr. Katharine Garnier

In brief: No milk...small meal

Each pregancy is different, so you may not have as much trouble with this one, but some people do have nausea and vomiting with each pregnancy.
Discuss concerns with your doctor, use pedialyte ice pops to help, avoid milk products in the early stages, and have crackers near the bed for before you even get out of bed. Small frequent meals, and avoid what makes you queasy. Consider a nutritionist!

In brief: No milk...small meal

Dr. Katharine Garnier
Dr. Katharine Garnier
Dr. Padmavati Garvey

In brief: Several things

Good news..It probably won't be as bad the next time.
Eat small frequent meals. Avoid feeling hungry which can set off the nausea feeling. Ginger, anise, fennel seeds are natural antinausea ingredients so eat those. Don't force yourself to eat things you don't want to. Simple broths and popsicles can help you from getting dehydrated and will give you electolytes.

In brief: Several things

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Adam Smith