How important is a beta blocker in the treatment of heart attack patients?

Very important. Beta blockers have been shown to keep the heart beating efficiently and effectively, and several studies have shown improved outcomes. There are many different beta blockers available, so a person should discuss with their doctor a balance between effectiveness, side-effects, and cost.
Very important. Assuming there is no contraindications to their use, beta blockers can decrease mortality after having a heart attack. They are also useful in decreasing blood pressure. For every increase in systollic BP (top number) by 20 and diastolic BP (bottom number) by 10 above 130/80, mortality from heart disease doubles, but not everyone can take beta blockers. Be sure to talk it over with you doctor.