I have constant hip pain and muscle spasms in my thigh and calf with numbness in the outer half of my foot. What other tests besides MRI should happen?

Dr. William Scott
General Practice
In brief: Nerve damage
What your experiencing is nerve damage.
It will or may be permanent if the cause is not corrected. Nerve conduction velocity is needed to help determine this. I would get the MRI asap. Then have your physician refer you to a neurosurgeon and neurologist to get further evaluation. A normal MRI and abnormal nerve study may indicate a more severe condition in terms of a demyelinating process.

In brief: Nerve damage
What your experiencing is nerve damage.
Dr. William Scott
Dr. William Scott
Dr. David Hardin
Wound care
In brief: Examination
Firstly a very complete physical exam. Some basic labs, plain (cheaper) x-rays directed at low back & pelvis.
An emg/ncv is likely needed, based on information obtained the need for MRI ct or other studies may be determined.

In brief: Examination
Dr. David Hardin
Dr. David Hardin
Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
In brief: Phyisical exam
History and physical with your doc more important that plus the MRI should show the s1nerve impingment if present treatment follows diagnosis.

In brief: Phyisical exam
Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine