What are the causes of sudden increase in pulse rate in teens?

Dr. Arman Danielyan
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Substance abuse

You should also be careful not to miss substance abuse in teenagers.
Psychostimulants in particular (ritalin (methylphenidate) and others) are known to do that.

In brief: Substance abuse

Dr. Arman Danielyan
Dr. Arman Danielyan
Dr. Martha Stark

In brief: Food sensitivities

Sudden increases in pulse rate can be a sign that you are "sensitive, " and therefore "reactive, " to a food that you have just eaten.
In fact, one of the ways to see if you are "allergic" to a particular food is to take your pulse shortly after eating the food to see if your pulse has (temporarily) increased more than 10 beats per second. A handy diagnostic tool for food allergies...

In brief: Food sensitivities

Dr. Martha Stark
Dr. Martha Stark
Dr. Ravinder Rustagi

In brief: Increased pulse rate

There are several reason for sudden increase in pulse rate in teens, most common causes are 1.
Cardiac arrythmia, high fever, hyperthyroidism, anxiety and certain medication can also cause increased heart rate.

In brief: Increased pulse rate

Dr. Ravinder Rustagi
Dr. Ravinder Rustagi
2 comments
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
I agree with Dr Rustagi. Caffeine is also a likely "offender" in teenagers, so explore that thoroughly, as is other drug abuse, especially cocaine and stimulants like adderal/ritalin
Dr. Barton Cook
A sudden start / sudden stop fast pulse is more likely to be an arrhythmia such as SVT (supraventricular tachycardia)
Dr. Volkan Tuzcu
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: Pulse

Unless there is a reasonable explanation such as sudden activity or excitement , than unexplained sudden increases in the pulse usually rerfers to presence of a rhythm problem.I am an expert in the field of electrophysiology and you can consult me if you need any further specific information

In brief: Pulse

Dr. Volkan Tuzcu
Dr. Volkan Tuzcu
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine