I am having decompression surgery for chiari type I soon. I am curious whether the pain is similar to spinal tap, or bacterial meningitis?

Dr. Stacey Wolfe
Neurosurgery

In brief: Surgical Pain

Post-operative pain following a suboccipital decompression for chiari is usually due to mobilization of the suboccipital and paraspinal muscles and can be controlled with analgesics such as narcotics, tylenol (acetaminophen) and nsaids.
Meningitic pain can occur from chemical irritation. You should discuss these questions with your surgeon to develop a treatment plan before surgery.

In brief: Surgical Pain

Dr. Stacey Wolfe
Dr. Stacey Wolfe
Dr. Larry Armstrong
Neurosurgery

In brief: Not the same

Chiari decompression hurts the back of the head and neck pretty significantly for a few days postop.
This will improve after a few days as you get up and around. Medication helps a lot. Your need for medication will diminish as you recover. Good luck.

In brief: Not the same

Dr. Larry Armstrong
Dr. Larry Armstrong
Dr. Andrew Kaufman
Neurosurgery

In brief: Neither

Are you referring to the pain of the surgery or the symptoms of the chiari 1? In any event, neither will be similar to a spinal tap or bacterial meningitis.

In brief: Neither

Dr. Andrew Kaufman
Dr. Andrew Kaufman
Dr. Shontae Buffington