I am on my feet for 6 hours a day 5 days a week at work. A couple of days ago the ball of my right foot started hurting bad. What is going on?

Dr. Abdul Ahmed
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Pain in forefoot

Metatarsalgia ( forefoot pain ) could be just due to standing for long time.
If it persists then you will need x-ray of the foot to rule out stress fracture , fracture of the sesamoid bone, intertarsal bony union or arthritis in one of the small joints. Wearing of broad hard sole shoe may help resolve the problem.

In brief: Pain in forefoot

Dr. Abdul Ahmed
Dr. Abdul Ahmed
Dr. Daniel Farber
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

In brief: Overload or neuroma

It is likely that you either aggravated a neuroma or just are overloading the metatarsal heads.
Make sure you have good achilles flexibility. Do heel cord stretches. And get a metatarsal pad to put in your shoe to offload that area (try hapad.Com).

In brief: Overload or neuroma

Dr. Daniel Farber
Dr. Daniel Farber
Dr. Peter Kurzweil