Is it likely that I have MS if my spinal tap is completely negative?

Dr. Glenn Skow

In brief: Possible

Each test has a false negative and false positive rate.
Some better than others. While you may be able to diagnose MS by spinal tab, that is usually positive a little more than 80% of the time. This means some who do have it might test negative. A brain MRI is positive in more than 95% of cases. If you are still having symptoms of ms, see your doctor to consider an mri.

In brief: Possible

Dr. Glenn Skow
Dr. Glenn Skow

In brief: Is possible

If you have MRI lesions which are c/w MS, but spinal fluid is normal, that would indicate a far better prognosis.
Spinal fluid is helpful in 95% of cases, but that leaves a small number of equivocal situations. We try to resolve by follow-up MRI's, seeking whether changes are occurring. Chances are, that you probably do NOT have MS.

In brief: Is possible

Dr. Joshua Davidson
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Possibly

A negative spinal tap is usually a good sign in terms of ruling out ms, but it's not the only sign, and it depends on the tests performed on the spinal fluid.
A negative brain MRI is more supportive of a negative evaluation, as is the absence of certain proteins that are often found in spinal fluid of MS patients. I would talk to your doctor about a MRI and about these proteins in the fluid.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Joshua Davidson
Dr. Joshua Davidson
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine