Will my previous fertility treatments mean I will have octuplets?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Effects are limited
Drugs taken to increase the chances of pregnancy can result in multiples in that pregnancy however, the number of babies depends on many things such as the type and dose of drugs and a woman's response to them. Also doctors cannot predict with certainty the number of babies born if fertility drugs were taken because an embryo might not develop in some cases.
High-order multiple gestation is rare.

In brief: Effects are limited
High-order multiple gestation is rare.
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Mark Perloe
Fertility Medicine
In brief: NO,
With ovulation treatment there is a greater risk of multiple births.
The risk is greatest in women with pcos (polycystic ovary syndrome). But, with diet, exercise and metformin, we can restore ovulation in up to 85% of women with this condition and dramatically reduce the risk.

In brief: NO,
Dr. Mark Perloe
Dr. Mark Perloe
Dr. Mark Perloe
As IVF lab procedures have improved we have reduced the number of embryos transferred. In fact, many women chose CGH on cycle day 5 after IVF and can achieve pregnancy rates close to 60% with the transfer of a single embryo.
Dr. Deborah Smith
Fertility Medicine
In brief: No
Previous fertility treatments will not increase your chances of having multiples.
Drugs taken for infertility treatment only effect the current treatment cycle. So have no fear about being the next octomom when you try to conceive after stopping fertility therapy.

In brief: No
Dr. Deborah Smith
Dr. Deborah Smith
Dr. Scott Roseff
Fertility Medicine
In brief: No
The case of "octomom" was due to her "fertility doctor" placing a high number of embryos in her uterus.
Prior treatments will not increase your current odds of a multiple pregnancy.

In brief: No
Dr. Scott Roseff
Dr. Scott Roseff
Dr. Frank Yelian
In brief: No
As long as both you and your doctor agree only transfer one embryo back each time, you will have very low chance to have multiple multiple pregnancy.

In brief: No
Dr. Frank Yelian
Dr. Frank Yelian
Dr. Kevin Windisch
In brief: No
My wife and I have one single son as a result of several rounds of infertility treatments.

In brief: No
Dr. Kevin Windisch
Dr. Kevin Windisch
Dr. Craig Sweet
In brief: No
Not unless you go to california and have 12 frozen/thawed embryos placed at the same time.
All kidding aside, multiple pregnancy rates are more common the more fresh or frozen embryos you have placed into your uterus. Injectable medications with inseminations, in my practice, result in triplet+ rates of 7%. Triplet or more rates are very rare with oral medications. Discuss all with your physician.

In brief: No
Dr. Craig Sweet
Dr. Craig Sweet
Dr. Mark Perloe
By combining an oral ovulation medication with a much lower dose of injectable medications we find that we can maintain good pregnancy rates and limit the number of follicles that developed. European data looking at IVF suggests that more eggs is not always better.