What are the sign and symptoms of deep vein thrombosis and how do I know if I'm at risk?

Pain in calf. The most common symptoms of a blood clot in pregnancy are swelling, pain, skin color changes and warmth in one leg. Pregnant women are at higher risk for a dvt. Smoking, obesity, recent surgery and family history are other risk factors. Some people are carriers of certain genes that can increase risk of DVT as well.
Pain and swelling. The most common symptom of DVT is pain and the most common physical finding is swelling. However, not everyone has these. If you have unexplained swelling with or without calf or thigh pain then a venous ultrasound would be indicated to look for a dvt. Sometimes even a ct scan or mrv is necessary. The bottom line is, if DVT is considered, then proper testing is required.
Can be variable. The classic signs and symptoms of a blood clot are swelling, pain, skin color changes and warmth in one leg. Unfortunately, many times people with blood clots have no symptoms at all that they have one. Smoking, obesity, recent surgery, immobility, cancer, infection, certain medications (including hormones), and family history are all risk factors.