I've had a surgery on my left scaphoid twice a couple of years back. Now I have pain under my thumb and in my palm and the same pain in the other hand also. What should I do?

Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY

In brief: Scaphoid

Extremely rare to have scaphoid bone pain on both side at the same time.
If the surgical site is bothering or increase pain with decrease function then should see surgeon or get x-rays.

In brief: Scaphoid

Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. Todd Guyette
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Need xrays

You need xrays to confirm that the scaphoid has truly healed or whether you are developing arthritis due to the difficulty in getting the scaphoid to heal -.

In brief: Need xrays

Dr. Todd Guyette
Dr. Todd Guyette
Dr. Michael Raemisch
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Get it checked

This could be a problem with your scaphoid.
If your scaphoid is ok, then it may simply be common arthritis near the base of your thumb.

In brief: Get it checked

Dr. Michael Raemisch
Dr. Michael Raemisch
Dr. F. Thomas Kaplan
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Did it heal

The scaphoid heals slowly and is prone to not healing.
After your second surgery was healing confirmed with a ct scan? If not, the bone may still be un-healed. Also, pain at the base of the thumb is relatively common secondary to arthritis. You should see your hand surgeon for a follow-up.

In brief: Did it heal

Dr. F. Thomas Kaplan
Dr. F. Thomas Kaplan
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery