If I crave sweet foods, does that mean my child will likely have diabetes?

Dr. Scott Kramer
Gynecology

In brief: No

Your cravings for sweets and their consumption do not cause diabetes in your infant.
However, a test for gestational diabetes should be offered to all women beginning in the third trimester of pregnancy.

In brief: No

Dr. Scott Kramer
Dr. Scott Kramer
Dr. Thomas Heston

In brief: Not necessarily

Your craving most likely is not a genetic disorder than would be passed onto your child.
However, if you regularly give into your craving, and teach (by example) your child to frequently and excessively eat sweet foods consisting of simple sugars, then your child will be at an increased risk of obesity and diabetes. Children learn by example, so set a good example of eating a healthy diet.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Thomas Heston
Dr. Thomas Heston
Dr. Cindy Juster