What medicine can I take for a cold with Dilantin and tegretol?

Dr. Peter Glusker
Neurology

In brief: Drug interactions

Pretty much all the ingredients in the over the counter cold medications have some interaction with Dilantin and/or tegretol, including increased liver toxigscity (from acetaminophen) and increased sedation.
I would suggest you discuss the problem with your family doctor. Also, look at medlineplus.Gov (the national library of medicine patient education site) choosing drugs.

In brief: Drug interactions

Dr. Peter Glusker
Dr. Peter Glusker
Dr. William Goldie
Levels of Dilantin and Tegretol may be affected by any medication or herb that affects the liver metabolism.
Dr. Djamchid Lotfi
Neurology

In brief: Any cold remedy

Most colds are treated with rest and good fluid intake but cold medicine of any kind is not prohibited with your meds.

In brief: Any cold remedy

Dr. Djamchid Lotfi
Dr. Djamchid Lotfi
Dr. Eric Weisman