I broke my scaphoid bone in my right hand. I have a consult with an orthopedic surgeon tmr. Generally how long is the recovery time for surgery. ?

Dr. Ryan Pflugner
Sports Medicine

In brief: Depends.

Scaphoid fractures come in many varieties.
If you are young and active, your ortho doc may suggest getting back to activities sooner with surgery. If you don't need surgery then you can be in a cast for 6-8 weeks sometimes longer if the fracture is slow to heal.

In brief: Depends.

Dr. Ryan Pflugner
Dr. Ryan Pflugner
Dr. Bruce Prager
Recovery time if you have surgery is 6-8 weeks.
Dr. Gregory Harvey
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Scaphoid fracture

Depending on the location of the fracture and the displacement of the fragments you may not require surgery.
Sometimes these fractures can heal in a cast. If you do require surgery it can take a minimum of 6 weeks to heal.

In brief: Scaphoid fracture

Dr. Gregory Harvey
Dr. Gregory Harvey
Dr. Michael Raemisch
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: 2-3 months

I generally keep the scaphoid protected for 2 months after a surgery.
I then check cat scan in addition to x-rays to be sure that it is healed before letting patients do anything heavy or athletic.

In brief: 2-3 months

Dr. Michael Raemisch
Dr. Michael Raemisch
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine