Can the cracks heal and form scars that will obstruct the milk ducts?

Dr. Lillian Schapiro
In brief: Usually cracks heal
I recommend lanolin cream. After nursing, rub your breast milk on your nipples and allow it to dry.
Your breasts need "air time." leaving them open to oxygen will help the healing process.

In brief: Usually cracks heal
Dr. Lillian Schapiro
Dr. Lillian Schapiro
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics
Yes, but the body's has a wonderful way of healing and numerous ducts so that it is very unusual for the cracks themselves to truly cause a problem. Good wound care with repeated cleansings using a mild non-irritating soap as well as a petrolatum or mineral oil or lanolin moisturizer will help to quickly heal the cracks with minimal scarring.

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Jane Van Dis