How does the anesthesiologist keep you asleep during wisdom teeth removal?

Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management

In brief: IV sedation

With a variety of sedative medications through your iv.

In brief: IV sedation

Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Edsall
Anesthesiology

In brief: I.V plus

You can get local, I.
V.Sedation, nitrous (laughing gas) general ( unconscious). Or combinations of each of those. A crna or anesthesiolgist can give all but the oral surgeon can only give sedation and local. Safer to have someone there to do the anesthesia other than the person doing the extractions.

In brief: I.V plus

You can get local, I.
Dr. David Edsall
Dr. David Edsall
Dr. Matt Malkin
Anesthesiology

In brief: Sedative medications

Most wisdom teeth can be removed using a combination of local (numbing) anesthetic and sedation.
Small doses of medications (almost any kind of sedative) are carefully given to keep the patient comfortable, but still awake and breathing. In some cases, patients may require general anesthesia and intubation for dental procedures.

In brief: Sedative medications

Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY

In brief: I've sedation

Is IV sedation. Only an oral surgeon can do IV sedation to remove wisdom teeth.
It is faster and less painful. This is conscious sedation. Way safer than general anesthesia (completely out). Your surgeon monitors you oxygen, blood pressure. If needed they can wake you up quickly. You are really awake all the time. You get meds to help you forget and prevent pain.

In brief: I've sedation

Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Garrett Caldwell

In brief: Wisdom Teeth

Typically during removal of your wisdom teeth, the doctors use what is called IV sedation.
They have continuously infuse a sedative into your veins that will induce sleep far enough for a minor surgery, yet not so deep a sleep that you are exposed to any significant risks. Your doctor & dentist will customize the medications based on your health history & conditions.

In brief: Wisdom Teeth

Garrett Caldwell
Garrett Caldwell
Answer assisted by Garrett Caldwell, Medical Student
Dr. Jack Hinkle