I have the mirena, (levonorgestrel) birth control im excersising but have not lost weight?

Dr. Padmavati Garvey

In brief: Keep trying

Losing weight is one of the hardest things anyone can do.
Moreover it gets harder with every passing year. You must try weight watchers. You must continue to exercise everyday. Your activity needs to include cardiovascular as well as strength training. Running two miles a day, 5x/week and then yoga the other two days is a good balance.

In brief: Keep trying

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
3 comments
Marianne DiNapoli
The Mirena IUD will not affect weight loss or gain, since it does not release hormones into the blood stream.
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
I have the mirena in as well and have had it in for 12 years now. I only started losing weight when I began to exercise every morning and started weight watchers.
Marianne DiNapoli

In brief: Eat fewer calories

The best way to lose weight is to adjust both diet and exercise.
If you eat fewer calories and burn more off by exercising, you will lose weight. The Mirena (levonorgestrel) is an iud that releases low levels of hormones only around the uterus, and will not affect your attempt to lose weight. Remember to eat fewer calories than needed each day. Contact the ob-gyn doctor to ask if there is a chance of pregnancy.

In brief: Eat fewer calories

Marianne DiNapoli
Marianne DiNapoli
Answer assisted by Marianne Di Napoli, Medical Student
Dr. Jane Van Dis