Will I be able to breast feed if my nipples continue to be cracked after my birth?

Dr. Rakhi Dimino
Sometimes nipples are cracked before delivery because the skin is dry and rubbing against irritating clothing.
After delivery you can try wearing breast shells to prevent chaffing from clothing or you can use hydrogels to soothe cracked nipples. After delivery cracked nipples is often a sign of a poor latch so see a lactation consultant asap.

Dr. Rakhi Dimino
Dr. Rakhi Dimino
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Cracked nipples can be uncomfortable but this does not impact your ability to produce breastmilk.
Lanolin is a good OTC cream. Sometimes yeast (thrush) in the baby's mouth gets spread to the nipple. Your doctor can evaluated for this. Sometimes repositioning the baby during feeds will help cracked nipples. A lactation consult can be very helpful for many breastfeeding problems.

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham