I had a bilateral adrenalectomy. Therefore I have no dhea. My doctor told me not to worry about it because other organs make that hormone. True?

Dr. Ernest Asamoah
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Not true

Dhea is made from the adrenal gland alone (but can be sulphated in the liver).
For someone with bilateral adrenalectomy you can take 50 mg of dhea supplement. This though is a supplement and so one cannot be entirely sure about the content advertized. There is limited data on the benefit but for someone like you, it may help.

In brief: Not true

In brief: Maybe

Adrenalectomy persons do need cortisone replacement, and chemical adjust with flourinef with adequate replacement other steroids may be generated.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery