Gastrectomy. My dr is scheduling me for laprascopic gastrectomy for adenocarcinoma. I was told it would be "out patient". Is this possible?

Dr. Arthur Heller
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: I don't think so

That is major surgery, even laparoscopically (technically difficult, doesn't take less time to perform).
It is not simply removing the stomach; it is attaching what's left (part of stomach, if a partial gastrectomy, or esophagus, if total gastrectomy) to the intestine; generally requires admission for at least several days.

In brief: I don't think so

Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Arthur Heller
2 comments
Dr. Richard Orr
Make sure that the person doing your surgery has experience with laparoscopic gastrectomy. It is a very demading operation. The most important thing is getting a good cancer operation. Better a good cancer operation with an incision than a bad cancer operation and band-aids.
Dr. Alexander Barkan
i agree. after laparoscopic gastrectomy you need a swallow study with contrast to determine that the connection is intact, then a clear diet is started to see how you tolerate it. this requires at least two days in the hospital
Dr. Camil Sader
Surgery

In brief: Very Unusual

Gastrectomies for adenocarcinoma, even if done laparoscopically, mandate an inpatient stay of at least 1-2 days but typically closer to 4-5.
It is unusual to discharge a patient home post gastrectomy until the anastomosis has proven to heal and not leak. That is done by gradually introducing liquids then food slowly. Assessment also involves examining the abdomen, lab results, and vital signs.

In brief: Very Unusual

Dr. Camil Sader
Dr. Camil Sader

In brief: Concerning..

Performing a laparoscopic gastrectomy for cancer is a highly complex operation, so your doctor should be an expert in this field with a lot of experience prior to attempting this procedure.
However it is not an outpatient operation, and you should expect to stay in hospital 2-3 days at least.

In brief: Concerning..

Dr. Sharmila Dissanaike
Dr. Sharmila Dissanaike

In brief: Impossible

There is absolutely no way that could be an outpatient surgery.
I would be curious to know who gave you the bad information. Sometimes nurses or testing staff will see laparoscopic gastrectomy and think cholecystectomy as this is a common outpatient procedure. I am sure your doctor told you this is not an outpatient procedure. You will be in the hospital several days. Good luck.

In brief: Impossible

Dr. Phillip Price
Dr. Phillip Price

In brief: Gastrectomy

Hello, a gastrectomy whether laparoscopic or open is a major procedure.
The length of the hospitalization depends on the length of the surgery. I would discuss whether "outpatient" is a mistake with your physician. There is a lot of pressure on docs to get patients home as soon as possible. But it is unlikely to be outpatient.

In brief: Gastrectomy

Dr. Leena Khaitan
Dr. Leena Khaitan

In brief: No

No laparoscopic gastrectomies for cancer , the need for adequate lymph node sampling and excission is critical in the survival of the gastric adenocarcinoma patients as well as omentectomy.

In brief: No

Dr. F. Enrique Alvarez
Dr. F. Enrique Alvarez

In brief: Doubtful

A properly performed gastrectomy for cancer, open or laparoscopically, is a significant surgical undertaking.
It requires removal of a large part of the stomach and extensive removal of surrounding lymph node tissue. Furthermore, the remaining stomach has to be surgically attached to another segment of GI tract, usually small bowel. Recovery and care require a few inpatient days.

In brief: Doubtful

Dr. Michael Sawyer
Dr. Michael Sawyer
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery