What can I do for sciatica pain? I have a LP shunt in my back. The pain is on the right side into my buttocks.

Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management

In brief: Speak with

Neurosurgeon who out in the shunt.
They will be your best guide since there can be risks with doing anything in the spine with shunt in place. If they OK you for injections they may direct them or discuss your options with you.

In brief: Speak with

Neurosurgeon who out in the shunt.
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Robert McMurtrie
Pain Management

In brief: Likely not shunt...

Pain in the back and down into the buttock and leg can come from lumbar discs with or without nerve impingement/irritation, facet joint irritation, sacroiliac joint irritation or piriformis syndrome.
Only a physical examination coupled with imaging studies can let your doctor make the diagnosis.

In brief: Likely not shunt...

Dr. Robert McMurtrie
Dr. Robert McMurtrie
Dr. Kenneth Choquette
Pain Management

In brief: Arthritis?

True sciatic pain goes all the way down the entire leg when a nerve root of the lumbar spine becomes inflammed.
Low back pain shooting into ones buttocks region is usually coming from the joints or ligaments of the lower spine. Depending where the shunt is located, it might have nothing to do with this pain at all. Ask your doc about si joint, facet or trigger point injections that could help.

In brief: Arthritis?

Dr. Kenneth Choquette
Dr. Kenneth Choquette
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Did MRI on the back

The in buttocks is radiation pain from the back, did you MRI on your back, if you did find out if you disc should address.

In brief: Did MRI on the back

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied