I have bipolar and I had been taking geodon (ziprasidone) for it. But my doctor did an e.K.G on me and noticed it was adversely affecting my heart. Why is that?

Dr. Barbara A Majeroni

In brief: Arrhythmia

Some medications, including Geodon (ziprasidone) can cause a change in the heart rythm (qt prolongation) that can put you at risk for a dangerous type of arrhythmia.
. More commonly, it produces rapid heart rate. Mechanism is unclear.

In brief: Arrhythmia

Dr. Barbara A Majeroni
Dr. Barbara A Majeroni
Dr. Kimberly Erway

In brief: Try a new med...

While atypical antipsychotics like Geodon (ziprasidone) are effective for bipolar, the mood stabilizers are also great options which work well.
Lithium can help with depression and is protective against suicide as well. Talk with your psychiatrist about the options available to you.

In brief: Try a new med...

Dr. Kimberly Erway
Dr. Kimberly Erway