8 days after open inguinal hernia surgery the area beneath incision is hard and painful when touched or when I turn on my side at night. Normal?

Yes. The surgical area may be firm to touch and tender for some weeks, and slight bruise discoloration may be seen. Increasing local skin redness around the surgical site warrants an urgent visit with your surgeon.
Here are some... At this stage after surgery, no care, despite still having pain at moving around, is the best care as long as the expected postoperative pain is slowly but surely getting better day by day; so an adequate load of time + patience is best. However, if not slowly improving as expected, have the surgeon take a look. Best wish...