Pedi says my 6 month has heartburn. She wakes often crying, even when held she squirms and cries. Nursing helps soothe her. What else could it be?

In brief: ? Teething
While reflux could be one of the causes i wonder if it is from teething since she is comforted with feeding.

In brief: ? Teething
Dr. Prakash Bhoopalam
Dr. Prakash Bhoopalam
Dr. Gregory Mosolf
In brief: Reflux
It could be reflux esophagitis or heartburn as your pedi says.
It could also be a kind of food intolerance or allergy. For breastfeeding babies removing milk and other dairy from the mother's diet sometimes helps. If this is a new problem and the baby's stool has become loose/runny it could be an infection. If the stools are very firm, pasty or hard then treat for constipation.

In brief: Reflux
Dr. Gregory Mosolf
Dr. Gregory Mosolf
Dr. James Glauber
It could be behavioral as well, depending on what her bedtime routine is; i.e. how she falls asleep. I would want to know if she shows any signs of reflux during the day when awake or during naps.
Dr. Jane Van Dis