Is it alright to take cipro (ciprofloxacin) with lamotrigine? The warnings for cipro (ciprofloxacin) say that it can cause seizures? Do I need to be worried?

Dr. Peter Glusker
Neurology
In brief: Antibiotics & seizur
All of the quinolone class of antibiotics (including cipro) can lower seizure threshold (especially levaquin).
It is safer to discuss this with your family doctor and if possible find a different class of antibiotic. Sometimes Cipro (ciprofloxacin) can be used, but the details, like seizure type and frequency, need to be carefully weighed. I would discuss with your doctor and neurologist.

In brief: Antibiotics & seizur
Dr. Peter Glusker
Dr. Peter Glusker
Dr. Edward Smith
Agree completely as some of my epileptic patients have "quinoloe: seizures. Tetracyclines and high dose penicillin can be epileptogenic also.
Dr. Olav Jaren
Neurology
In brief: Prob ok
Although a medicine like ciprofloxacin may increase the chances of a seizure, this is very rare.
If you have a seizure disorder that is difficult to control, it may cause a problem, otherwise, it should be alright. There should be no significant interaction between these two medicines.

In brief: Prob ok
Dr. Olav Jaren
Dr. Olav Jaren
Dr. Eric Weisman