Is it possible to be pregnant and still have my period?

Dr. Michael Opsahl
Fertility Medicine
In brief: Menses and Pregnancy
I have had many women tell me that they knew someone who had menses during pregnancy.
I stopped OB in 1994 after 16 yrs and never had a patient with menses during pregnancy. I think any bleeding can be called menses by some. A real menses is bleeding caused by a normal cycle without pregnancy. So technically, you cannot have menses while pregnant. Bleeding deserves an evaluation whatever the name.

In brief: Menses and Pregnancy
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Kim Cox
In brief: Menses while pregnan
I have had patients report that they had periods while pregnant, but i agree with dr. Opsahl that it is very unusual, and probably represents a risk to the pregnancy.
I would see a doctor if you know you are pregnant and are having bleeding.

In brief: Menses while pregnan
Dr. Kim Cox
Dr. Kim Cox
Cole Livingston
Emergency Medicine
In brief: Without a doubt.
While most pregnant women stop bleeding monthly while pregnant, a few do continue to have menstrual-like bleeding.
In addition, some light spot-bleeding is common in pregnancy during the first and second trimesters. If you feel you might be pregnant, or are ever concerned about bleeding while pregnant, never hesitate to call your doctor.

In brief: Without a doubt.
Cole Livingston
Cole Livingston
Answer assisted by Cole Livingston, Medical Student