I have recently gotten off of the Depo-Provera shot. I have been off the shot for 5 months I have been having sever tenderness in my breasts why could this be?

Ovulation. The effects of the depoprovera have mostly worn off by now, so you may be ovulating now, which is a common cause of breast tenderness. It should go away when you get your period. Decrease caffeine, wear supportive bra, try evening primrose oil.
Resuming cycles. It may be that the ovarian suppression from the depoprovera is now "wearing off" and they are now producing hormones (estrogen +/- progesterone) that are stimulating the breasts. While you were on depoprovera (which is injectable progesterone) you were not having as much ovarian production of estrogen. Vitamin e and reduction of caffeine helps breast pain. If no better, see your doctor.
Fibrocystic tissue. The most common reason for significant breast tenderness is fibrocystic breast disease. The Depo-Provera shot probably suppressed your ovaries which lowered your estrogen production. Stopping the Depo-Provera allows your ovaries to resume function, the increasing estrogen stimulates the mammary tissue causing increased pain. Mortrin and vitamin E would likely help the pain. If the pain persists, see your doctor.