Do I have an ear infection? I get irritation, itchiness and a feeling of blockness. I also get discomfort listening to headphones in short periods.

Dr. Bernstein Joel
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Q-tip usage?
The most common cause of itchiness of the ear canal is dryness.
Compulsive cleaning of the ear canals with q-tips is the most common cause of dryness of the ear canals. It is a misconception that the ears must be cleaned. Cerumen or wax is normal and has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Wax always migrates from deep in the canal to the opening of ear canal. Don't push the wax back.

In brief: Q-tip usage?
Dr. Bernstein Joel
Dr. Bernstein Joel
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
In brief: Probably you do
Irritation & itchiness are often symptoms of an external ear infection, treated with antibiotic ear drops.
Feeling the ears are blocked and discomfort while using your earphones, could mean it is a middle ear infection, possible as part of a sinus infection, requiring on oral antibiotic.Your gp should be able to DX and rx. But if it is a persistent problem or hearing becomes decreased, see an ENT doc.

In brief: Probably you do
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Adam Levy