My knees make a crunchy sound when I bend them all the way, what's the cause of the crunching?

Dr. Ryan Pflugner
Sports Medicine

In brief: Knee Pain?

Many things can give you "crunchy" sounds when you bend your knee.
Most likely you have some chondromalacia where your patella meets the femur. It can also come from inflammation of the lining of your joint or loose pieces of tissue. If it is painful then i would see your local orthopedist to be evaluated, there may be some physical therapy that can help relieve the pain.

In brief: Knee Pain?

Dr. Ryan Pflugner
Dr. Ryan Pflugner
Dr. Gregory Harvey
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Chondromalacia

The crunching noise is most likely due to chondromalacia.
This is a wear of the articular surface of the joint. There is nothing to be concerned about and no treatment as long as you do not have any pain or swelling.

In brief: Chondromalacia

Dr. Gregory Harvey
Dr. Gregory Harvey
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine