If I messed around with someone who has herpes can I get it? And how can I tell if someone has herpes

Saurabh Bajpai
Emergency Medicine
Herpes is a sexually transmitted infection so yes it possible to catch it.
There are two types of herpes. Type 1 is the cold/canker sore you see on the mouth. Type 2 is the genital type herpes. Apart from the vesicles that sprout up, there is no visual way to tell if someone has herpes. Remember that a flare up is not necessary for transmission. Use condoms to reduce risk.

Saurabh Bajpai
Saurabh Bajpai
Answer assisted by Saurabh Bajpai, Medical Student
2 comments
Dr. Christopher Powers
Agree, but would add that it is possible to get Type 1 genitally through oral sex. In fact we're seeing more and more of that.
Dr. Donald Alves
See: http://stdtesting.com/how-many-people-have-herpes --for more information and helpul links.
Marianne DiNapoli
In brief: Yes.
Genital herpes is a sexually transmitted disease, meaning if you had sexual contact with someone with herpes, you could get it.
It can be asymptomatic, but it can also cause symptoms such as fever, malaise, painful urination, abnormal discharge, and formation of a painful ulcer or vesicles on the genitals. You might want to see a doctor to get tested for stds.

In brief: Yes.
Marianne DiNapoli
Marianne DiNapoli
Answer assisted by Marianne Di Napoli, Medical Student