I have an outer ear infection and a lot of swelling behind my ear. I was perscribed ear drops but I feel like I need an antibiotic pill. Thoughts?

Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Maybe
Swelling behind the ear with pain could be a sign of mastoiditis - very uncommon these days.
It could also be an inflammed lypmph node. But i would agree, if there are symptoms other than just in the ear... I would proabably put you on oral antibiotics as well.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Farhad Sigari
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: See an ENT
Most outer ear infections can be easily treated with drops.
However, sometimes either the drops are not working or the ear canal swells too much for the drops to effectively get in to the ear canal, or the debris that builds up in the ear canal needs to be removed. In any case i would seek treatment by an ENT sooner than later.

In brief: See an ENT
Dr. Farhad Sigari
Dr. Farhad Sigari
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine