What are the best ways to prevent sudden infant death syndrome?

Dr. Rodrigo Argenal

In brief: Back to sleep

Number one measure is to place your baby on her back when sleeping always until she is at least 9 months.
Other measures include keeping room temperature comfortably cool, not smoking and placing on a firm baby mattress bed without any side bumpers, pillows, heavy sheets or stuffed animals.

In brief: Back to sleep

Dr. Rodrigo Argenal
Dr. Rodrigo Argenal
3 comments
I'd agree with most but relax at 5- 6mo.I still put them down on their back but by then the kid picks their own sleep position & I don't think the data supports mom or dad checking all night to see if the kid flips over.
Dr. Rodrigo Argenal
agree with dr ferguson's addendum.

In brief: SIDS

Back to sleep has made a significant impact on decreasing mortality from sids.
Never lay your baby to sleep on his/her tummy. Other factors that contribute to sids are exposure to cigarette smoke, so avoid smoking also, which will also be good for your own health.

In brief: SIDS

Dr. Marina Armendariz
Dr. Marina Armendariz
Dr. Willa Terry
For reasons that are not well understood the following are risk factors for SIDS Sex: Boy babies are more likely to die of SIDS. Age: Infants are most vulnerable during the second and third months of life. Race: For reasons that aren't well understood, African American and Native American infants are more likely to die of SIDS