I'm having laparoscopy surgery done to remove an iud. Will I be able to hear and smell while I am asleep during the surgery?

Dr. David Edsall
Anesthesiology
In brief: No
When 'asleep" with a general your brain is unconscious not asleep.
It has no activity. No smell no dreams, nothing not asleep. When asleep you can be awoken. When anesthetized you cannot until the anesthesia is turned off. Anesthesia is a greek word that means "strange sleep".U don't even know that time goes by like with normal sleep. I have done 42000 cases with no recall.

In brief: No
Dr. David Edsall
Dr. David Edsall
Dr. Richard O'Leary
Anesthesiology
In brief: No
While under general anesthesia you won't feel, hear or smell anything.

In brief: No
Dr. Richard O'Leary
Dr. Richard O'Leary
Dr. Danny Proffitt
In brief: No
When asleep. Your brain is asleep and you will not be able to smell or hear what is going on.
After the surgery you may note smells and as you awaken you may hear people talking and moving about. The medications usually administered give you somewhat of an amnesia for these things as well. Sweet dreams!

In brief: No
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management
In brief: No
Smell....No. Not under general anesthesia.
Hearing is the last sense to go as you go to sleep for general anesthesia. Still it is very unlikely you will hear or remember hearing anything.

In brief: No
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Anesthesiology
In brief: No
If a laparoscopy is being performed in conjunction with iud removal you will most likely be placed under general.
You will not be awake to remember it.

In brief: No
You will not be awake to remember it.
Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Dr. Matt Malkin
Anesthesiology
In brief: No
Hearing and smell is receiving information from the environment and interpreting it.
While your ears and nose may still receive information, general anesthesia prevents your brain from processing it. The same is true with pain. So you will essentially just have a memory gap. Studies are being done to look for subconscious processing of the information even if there is no way to remember it.

In brief: No
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Gabor Racz
Anesthesiology
Can happen nothing wrong.

Can happen nothing wrong.
Dr. Gabor Racz
Dr. Gabor Racz
Dr. Benjamin Sanidad Jr
Anesthesiology
In brief: No
Under general anesthesia with an endotracheal tube, there is no way you can smell but a possibility of awareness if anesthesia is not adequate.
A bis can be used to monitor brain waves during the procedure.

In brief: No
Dr. Benjamin Sanidad Jr
Dr. Benjamin Sanidad Jr
Dr. Adam Levy