Instead of useing anesthesia for surgery is there any other options?

Dr. David Edsall
Anesthesiology

In brief: What kind of surgery

Types of anesthesia are local light sedation by rn; deep sedation, nerve blocks, spinal, caudal , epidural and general all by anesthesia providers.
None of these is always the safest and each one may be the safest for you depending on your medical condition and type of surgery. I would not use any other things like hypnosis or acupuncture for any surgery.

In brief: What kind of surgery

Dr. David Edsall
Dr. David Edsall
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management

In brief: No

In general it depends of the surgery.
There is local anesthetic (think getting stitches or a tooth pulled) IV sedation (colonoscopy) regional anesthesia (epidural) or general anesthesia. There is always the option of no anesthesia, but for many procedures that is not an option.

In brief: No

In general it depends of the surgery.
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: Depends on surgery.

We cannot answer this question without knowing what operation is planned.
There are many different anesthesia options including local anesthesia, twilight (sedation), nerve blocks, spirals, epidurals, or general anesthesia.

In brief: Depends on surgery.

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
Pain Management

In brief: Local or regional

I assume you mean general anesthesia - its always a good idea when having surgery to go with local or regional anesthesia if at all possible.
Local or regional today is very safe and reduces the risks and possible side effects of general anesthesia.

In brief: Local or regional

Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology

In brief: Talk to MD

There are some operations that are done without anesthesia, but i need to know which ones you are talking about before i can be of much help.

In brief: Talk to MD

Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard

It depends on the kind of procedure, many kinds of anesthesia and some people have used acupuncture in some minor cases.

Dr. F. Enrique Alvarez
Dr. F. Enrique Alvarez
Dr. Vikram Patel