All offspring of my grandparents on my dad's side have atherosclerosis or died from it. I'm 23 and healthy, but am I condemned to an early death?

Dr. Martin Bress

In brief: Absolutely not!

Family history is only one of the risk factors for atherosclerosis.
Get your cholesterol and blood sugar checked. Have your blood pressure measured. Don't smoke. Exercise regularly. Watch the fats in your diet. Don't become overweight. If everything checks out get re-evaluated again in 5 years. Don't worry.

In brief: Absolutely not!

Dr. Martin Bress
Dr. Martin Bress
Dr. Howard Rubin
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Atherosclerosis

Best you be aware of your family history and be proactive by losing weight if you are overweight, get a check of your cholesterol, treat if it is high, never smoke or stop if you ate smoking, and have your blood pressure checked and treat if it is elevated.
You cannot change your genetic make up but you can do your best as above.

In brief: Atherosclerosis

Dr. Howard Rubin
Dr. Howard Rubin
Dr. William Cromwell
Clinical Lipidology

In brief: Risk Can Be Changed

In addition to these answers, you should have LDL particle number (ldl-p) checked.
Ldl cholesterol (ldl-c) is commonly used to "estimate" the number of LDL particles. However, because the amount of cholesterol carried inside LDL is so variable, ldl-c often underestimates ldl-p. When ldl-c and ldl-p differ substantially, numerous studies show cardiovascular risk tracks with ldl-p, not ldl-c.

In brief: Risk Can Be Changed

Dr. William Cromwell
Dr. William Cromwell
Dr. Umesh Patel