I have on average a 29 day cycle with a 14-16 day period. Could I be ovulating during my period ? I have pcos and am 9 mth post partum on 2nd cycle

Dr. Ahmed Yousry
In brief: Rarely
If it is confirmed to be a period and it is not abnormal bleeding or ovulation bleeding usually there is no ovulation during menstruation.

In brief: Rarely
Dr. Ahmed Yousry
Dr. Ahmed Yousry
Dr. Mark Perloe
Fertility Medicine
In brief: Abnormal bleeding
Abnormal, prolonged bleeding can indicate many different conditions such as pcos, uterine fibroids, or polyps.
In women with longer standing absence of ovulation, we can even find precancerous changes on the uterine biopsy. I'd suggest you consider visiting with your physician and having a transvaginal ultrasound. If the uterine lining is thickened, further testing would be needed.

In brief: Abnormal bleeding
Dr. Mark Perloe
Dr. Mark Perloe
2 comments
Dr. Mark Perloe
Also consider monitoring your basal body temperature [BBT} chart. This can indicate whether you are ovulating and if the bleeding is a normal period or indicative of other problems.
Dr. Mary David
There are also ovulation prediction kits available over the counter that can help answer this
Dr. Mary David
In brief: Possibly
Pcos is associated with anovulation (not ovulating) and for that reason with irregular periods.
In a normal ovulatory cycle, ovulation happens 14 days before the onset of the next period.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Mary David
Dr. Mary David
Dr. Leo Eschbach jr
In brief: Ovid
Usually pcos causes problems with ovulation and either irregular periods or none at all.
You should have some lab work and possibly a ultrasound for further evaluation.

In brief: Ovid
Dr. Leo Eschbach jr
Dr. Leo Eschbach jr
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
In brief: Not normal
Periods do not last 14 to 16 days.
If you have pco, then i suspect the bleeding is due to that and the fact that you are not ovulating.

In brief: Not normal
Periods do not last 14 to 16 days.
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham