When I eat I can't hear someone talking to me or TV! My hearing is terrible. My mam has 2 hearing aids. I can't hear well if I'm walking down a corridor and someone talks to me? My doctor thinks it's ear wax but it's not! I'm losing my hearing?!

In brief: Not always familial

A person with such symptoms can check her ears by seeing and ENT doctor and an audiologist.
There are many different causes for hearing loss, and the ENT doctor can figure it out. Some disorders that cause hearing loss are genetic or run in families. Other causes include chemical or medicinal exposures, damage due to loud noises or loud music, etc... The doctor will clear all the wax too.

In brief: Not always familial

Dr. Jack Hinkle