Diagnosed with breast cancer in the fall. Partial mas. In oct & 1/2 through radiation. Armpit just strarted swelling, hurting & chest pain. Worry?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: See your surgeon.

It is very common to develop swelling in the chest and armpit following breast cancer surgery and radiation therapy.
While this may just be "normal changes", it could be lymphedema. In this situation, it is best to return to your breast surgeon so that he/she can examine you. If it is lymphedema, physical therapy will be recommended. I hope this helps.

In brief: See your surgeon.

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Regina Hampton
Breast Surgery

In brief: Lymphedema

You could be experiencing lymphedema.
Radiation is a risk factor for the development of lymphedema after surgery. I recommend you speak with your radiation oncologist and surgeon. You should be evaluated by a lymphedema specialist/physical therapy clinic.

In brief: Lymphedema

You could be experiencing lymphedema.
Dr. Regina Hampton
Dr. Regina Hampton
Dr. Raymundo Romero
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Need Physical

Talk to your radiation oncologist, it may all be due to the side effects of radiation.
A physical exam is in order to make sure there are no signs of an infection.

In brief: Need Physical

Dr. Raymundo Romero
Dr. Raymundo Romero
Marianne DiNapoli

In brief: See your doctor.

It would be best for you to see your oncologist as soon as possible about this problem. It is common for some swelling to occur during radiation.
However, it would be best to bring it up with your treatment team at your next appointment.

In brief: See your doctor.

Marianne DiNapoli
Marianne DiNapoli
Answer assisted by Marianne Di Napoli, Medical Student
Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Don't worry

Definitely see your surgeon and your rad onc.
But i'm not too worried. This is not breast cancer returning. It's most likely side effects from radiation + your surgery. Many patients have breast/armpit swelling and pain during radiation. I agree with dr. Rosen that lymphedema could be developing. Another possibility is infection. Make sure your rad onc examines you at your next visit!

In brief: Don't worry

Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology