Can I stop Prozac (fluoxetine) a few days before major surgery? I'm worried that withdrawal may affect general anesthesia or cause problems during the operation.

Dr. Karen Sibert
Anesthesiology
In brief: No reason to stop
It makes sense to keep taking medications that your system is already used to taking.
Stopping Prozac (fluoxetine) might increase your anxiety, which isn't helpful when you're facing major surgery. If you need to be on a clear liquid diet prior to surgery, it still should be ok to take your medicines with a sip if water. However, stopping Prozac (fluoxetine) does not affect general anesthesia in any significant way.

In brief: No reason to stop
Dr. Karen Sibert
Dr. Karen Sibert
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Bleeding is a potential risk with SSRI's, and I've seen surgeons ask patients to stop them a few days before procedures for this reason.
Dr. Benjamin Sanidad Jr
Anesthesiology
In brief: Do not stop.
Most drugs regularly taken by patients are stopped a day or few days before surgery and re-started as soon as surgery is done.
With Prozac (fluoxetine) on board, general anesthesia is safely administered without problems. Your doctor will give you instructions when to stop and when to re-start taking Prozac (fluoxetine) and the rest of your medications.

In brief: Do not stop.
Dr. Benjamin Sanidad Jr
Dr. Benjamin Sanidad Jr
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management
In brief: Why stop?
I am not sure there is a reason to stop.

In brief: Why stop?
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Matt Malkin
Anesthesiology
In brief: Can continue it
Ssri's like Prozac (fluoxetine) don't seem to have known major interactions with anesthetics.
Older anti-depressants like MAO inhibitors were famous for dangerous interactions with commonly used medications, though these can also be continued if certain meds are avoided. I recommend you consult with your anesthesiology team at your pre-op appointment for their specific recommendations.

In brief: Can continue it
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology
In brief: Don't stop meds
Please keep taking the prozac, (fluoxetine) it will not affect your medication.

In brief: Don't stop meds
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Anesthesiology
In brief: Would continue it
Stopping Prozac (fluoxetine) prior to a surgical procedure with anesthesia should not affect the safety of anesthesia per se, but if you are on Prozac (fluoxetine) for say depression or anxiety, it makes sense to continue it.
There is no reason not to and it is safe.

In brief: Would continue it
Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Dr. Pamela Pappas