46; reg periods w/an occasional missed cycle. Blood test DURING my P showed menopause levels of fsh and LH, but very high estrogen. Makes no sense, I have fairly reg P's, only symp lately is severe anxiety. Have a 7 yr old. Why wld test show meno?!

Dr. Timothy Brown

In brief: Misunderstood tests

Menopause is not diagnosed based on high FSH and LH levels, but low levels can rule it out.
As you get older the ovaries become increasingly resistant to ovulation and require ever higher FSH and LH levels to respond. Eventually they will not respond at all, you can no longer ovulate and you will have no more periods. The official diagnosis of menopause is no periods for a year. You are normal.

In brief: Misunderstood tests

Dr. Adam Levy