Podiatrist gave me Lamisil for my toe nail fungus (left big toe) without cutting off a piece of nail to figure out what type of fungus it is. Is that okay? Also, the skin around my nail is red and swollen then after how many days it goes back to norm

Dr. Philip Miller

In brief: Lamisil

is an excellent anti-fungal antibiotic.
I agree that a fungal culture will identify the offending fungus; however, it will not cure the infection. The redness may be due to either a second infection which is non fungal or a reaction to the Lamisil. Please consult treating podiatrist and figure on 2-4 weeks of therapy, depending on the severity of your case.

In brief: Lamisil

is an excellent anti-fungal antibiotic.