What is the best way to treat an ankle sprain? I am experiencing ankle pain, soft tissue swelling, ankle stiffness, ankle swelling, difficulty walking, unable to bend foot down, ankle weakness, and unable to bear weight.

Dr. Philip Miller

In brief: Exam/x-ray

to rule out chip fracture.
You will need an ankle support and if severe, crutches or a walking shoe or cast. See an orthopedic expert.

In brief: Exam/x-ray

to rule out chip fracture.
Dr. Philip Miller
Dr. Philip Miller

In brief: Alternative

How was the ankle injured? Mechanism of injury is also helpful.
What and how you injured the ankle. Once established and no pathology on X-ray I would start a simple and very effective therapy. Contrast bath therapy will help localize the area of involvement

In brief: Alternative

Dr. Jeffrey Trantalis
Dr. Jeffrey Trantalis