Hi Dr, I have been experiencing rash and itchiness around my vagina, burn during urination and a white think discharge, this started a few weeks back and I have not been sexually active for 6 months. What might be the cause? What would you recommend?

Dr. Jaiprakash thakor Jairam
Healthcare Professional

In brief: Thrush

You most likely have thrush,which is a fungal infection and generally not related to sexual activity.
Virgins can get thrush.The burn during urination is due to your urine(acidic) coming into contact with the inflamed tissue around the pee-hole(urethral meatus)Your pharmacist can prescribe an OTC cream which will help.(many)If persists see your doctor for management.

In brief: Thrush

Dr. Jaiprakash thakor Jairam
Dr. Jaiprakash thakor Jairam
2 comments
Dr. Jaiprakash thakor Jairam
Note that long -standing or recurrent thrush infections are best managed by your doctor ,who will investigate the cause of recurrences,which could be as simple as diet,the type of soap you use,or glucose problems or immune related problems to mention a few.
Dr. Jaiprakash thakor Jairam
All the best.In the meantime please cut down on your refined sugar in diet.
Dr. Adam Levy