After taking acutane is there a certain amount of time you need to wait before starting treatments to get rid of the acne scars?

Dr. Morris Westfried
Dermatology

In brief: 6 months

The original package misery on Accutane said one year but it has been revised in both the dermatology literature and in the package insert to 6 month.
S mild chemical peels as well as fractionated laser can be performed at 6 months safely.

In brief: 6 months

Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Minas Constantinides
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Until symptoms gone

Opinion varies as to how long it is safe to wait after stopping Accutane before elective surgery.
The best opinion I have heard is to wait until all your symptoms of driness resolve, usually 1-2 months.

In brief: Until symptoms gone

Dr. Minas Constantinides
Dr. Minas Constantinides
Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery

In brief: Not a set amt

All inflammation should be got an lab tests normal.

In brief: Not a set amt

Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

You would want to wait at least a full year before any peel, laser or dermabrasion type procedure after accutane.
The Accutane will decrease your skin's ability of heal from a peel or other resurfacing procedure.

Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Steven Harris
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Yes!

Discuss your use of Accutane honestly with the doctor treating your scars.
Resurfacing procedures should never closely follow the use of Accutane or the risk of additional scarring goes way up. Be careful!

In brief: Yes!

Dr. Steven Harris
Dr. Steven Harris
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Minimum 6 months

This is controversial and most physicians recommend waiting at least 6 months and most prefer 1 year and possibly even 2 years to be safest.
This is particularly true for resurfacing techniques but less relevant to injection or topical antibiotic treatments that are minimally invasive.

In brief: Minimum 6 months

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: One year

I recommend a one year brake before any resurfacing procedures.

In brief: One year

Dr. Francisco Agullo
Dr. Francisco Agullo