My belly button has begun to protrude, and when I press on it it really hurts. What should I do?

Dr. Caren Reaves
In brief: Hernia
The most common reason for a protruding belly button is an umbilical hernia, a hernia is a condition where some of the contents of a body cavity protrude out from where they are usually contained.
They can be painless but any hernia has a risk of trapping the contents. If a hernia is painful, it should be evaluated by a physician and repair considered.

In brief: Hernia
Dr. Caren Reaves
Dr. Caren Reaves
Dr. David Brouwer
In brief: Hernia
It is likely an umbilical hernia and an evaluation with a general surgeon is a good idea.

In brief: Hernia
Dr. David Brouwer
Dr. David Brouwer
Dr. Steven Seres