Had an endoscopy about a month & a half ago, diagnosed with gastritis, esophagitis, peptic ulcer & gerd, been on protonix 40mg twice daily & pepcid 20mg twice day, if I have gerd will I have to stay on these medicines my whole life?

Dr. Shaban Faruqui
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Needs Re evaluation

Majority of patients are managed clinically with a once daily dose of a PPI.
Use of twice daily dosing of PPI or the addition of a nighttime H2 blocker to the daytime PPI therapy may be required for optimal control in a subset of patients such as those with Barrett’s esophagus or extra-esophageal disease .PPIs and H2 blockers have overlapping mechanisms of actions, which leads to more side effect

In brief: Needs Re evaluation

Dr. Marsha Davis