Positive fecal occult blood test in er. I was on my period. Can that make it positive? Will it find bleeding anywhere in the gi tract or just the colo

Dr. Shaban Faruqui
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: FIT more accurate

For the guaiac-based FOBT, a positive test result indicates that abnormal bleeding may be occurring somewhere in the digestive tract.

It is possible, depending on how the stool was collected, Menstural period can certainly be the reason for FOBT +ve. Swallowed blood , nosebleed also can turn it positive.(FIT or FOBT) can give a false-negative result if the cancer or polyps did not bleed.

In brief: FIT more accurate

Dr. Adam Levy